About Me

My photo
I am second generation Californian with Apache and Yaqui ancestors. Yes I was born in them there hills of Los Angeles. The Yaqui were hard workers and while working on the railroads in the southwest traveled and sometimes lived on the trains with their families. Refugio Savala the Yaqui Poet lived this lifestyle and called himself a "Hobo" with humor. My Greatgrandfather and many of his family worked on the railroad also which afforded them many opportunities. This Blog is in honor of my Great Grandfather Reyes Torres.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Here's to Hobos

I live in the happiest town in the USA....as labeled by the author of the book "Thrive". First I do not really think it was an "accurate" study. That being said I think some people are doing their best to make us NOT happy. I call them the "Wannabes". The people who come here to "exploit". We had a round of them in our neighborhood with vultures who came to take advantage of the downturn and flury of forclosures, one of which was the house nextdoor. A couple from the Bay Area came here and pickuped the house nextdoor. As they were remodeling in a frenzy I walked by them in my distressed jeans. The woman blurted out "Hobo". Being new to the neighborhood she did not know that I lived right nextdoor. She failed to notice my Gucci handbag and sunglasses that are 'real' and all paid for, she would not know authentic for she drove the cheapest Lexus and fake True Religion Jeans (my daughter noticed those right off). Well now the house they picked up is worth a fraction of what they paid for it and they have a huge loan and no renters....oh oh. Be careful what you are afraid of, you just may become that. Anyway I appreciate the little things in life which I will share here. So to my neighbor I say I love "Hobos" and authenticity, go back to Ohio? is my guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment